Monday 14 January 2008

Zeitgiest

For a long time, I've wanted to be part of something new. I've wanted to sit on the edge of originality and stare out at the jagged, toothed sea of criticism without any kind of perversion or contamination from anything which has come before. I realise that by just wanting to be part of this, you're defeating yourself, so I give up this quest and hunt for something personal.

Of course, even if I WAS part of it, I wouldn't know until it was over. So, I wondered where the next big thing was, pre-empt it and hi-jack it for my own ends.

This blog is a pixel in the digital Zeitgiest. There are a thousand blogs like mine, each with some readership, unimportant on their own, but they are the picture of the internet's denizens, and the troughs for their (usually sparse) readership.

This internet should be something to be enjoyed! There is a thousand different websites out there with intelligent, funny, moving things to show you! As a medium, it is new, it is ephemeral, and it is free. There are no censors, and there is no money involved to sully things.

But, can it last? Can Hype Machine still distribute free music, and can the many blogs it searches stay on the edge of this provision for unknown tastes? I'd like to think this is the future of music journalism, or journalism itself: done out of enjoyment, without asking for money in return.

This freedom won't last forever. Those fantastic American record companies (land of freedom, eh?) have attacked the p2p market, and they can't stop there. The internet will not always be like this, it is inclined to change. Personally, I hope it changes for the better, but better judgement tells me it'll change for the worst.

S/Cooke

No comments: